Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 07:38 PM 12/17/97 -0800, JSW wrote:
>
> >In 1950, it was thought that mammals were a new group, recently evolved
> >in the Late Cretaceous.  We now know that mammals were around all
> >through the Jurassic and Cretaceous.
>
> Actually, not true.  Middle Jurassic mammal jaws were known from the time of
> Sir Richard Owen, and G.G. Simpson (one of the greats of vert paleo in the
> first half of the century, and into the second half) did a lot of work on
> Mesozoic mammals.

I was just looking through "Wildlife of Gondwana" By Patricia Vickers-Rich
this morning and it looks like from the charts that they could go back as
far as the Triassic. Is there any evidence on this or is it just the chart
p[laying tricks on my eyes?

Later,
----Steve