Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

In a message dated 97-12-19 16:28:27 EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:

<< I find the "grasping forelimbs" argument to be rather weak.  Modern large
 oviparous species suffer relatively little predation on their adult forms.
 Ostriches suffer tremendous egg and juvenile predation, as do crocs.  Much
 of this (ostriches, anyway) is done at night when grasping forelimbs would
 be grasping nothing much else than night air! >>

I wasn't using "grasping forelimbs" as an "argument" for anything, merely as
the name of a feature found in theropod dinosaurs. What theropods or other
birds do or did with their grasping forelimbs is irrelevant here.