Re: Theropod Bias?

>On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Jonathon Woolf wrote:
>> I relaize this is a bit off-topic, but it's just a quickie:
>>
>> Rich Travsky wrote:
>> > There's a South African australopithecine with puncture wounds
>> > on the skull which just happen to fit a set of cheetah jaws.
>>
>> What specimen is this and where might I find further information on it,
>> please?  I've heard of australopiths with wounds attributable to leopard
>> and eagle, but never to a cheetah.  I'm not sure cheetahs have the jaw
>Could well have been a leopard. Writing from memory.
>
>> strength required to drive their teeth all the way through a hominid
>> skull.  I also don't see why a cheetah, whose normal prey is small, fast
>> gazelles of various sorts, would be attacking a hominid.

>Well, that would've made us an easy meal! Can't imagine a big cat passing
>that up (I know my house cats don't!).

        Sure, but cheetahs are light and gracile and don't like to scrap
for their meals.  Some African tribesmen have (or had) the practice of
driving cheetahs off their kills to steal the fresh meat--something they'd
be foolhardy to do with hyenas or lions or leopards.
        Dr. Travsky, you're probably just misremembering the leopard-bitten
hominid.

bruce

        "The more television I watch, the more I wonder why I'm not already
supreme ruler of earth."  --Dogbert