Hominids as prey, was Re: Theropod Bias?

Rich Travsky wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Jonathon Woolf wrote:
> >  I also don't see why a cheetah, whose normal prey is small, fast
> > gazelles of various sorts, would be attacking a hominid.
> Well, that would've made us an easy meal! Can't imagine a big cat
>passing
> that up (I know my house cats don't!).
One answer to why they would have passed us up is that most predators
seem to be somewhat hardwired for particular prey items.  They will
often pass up food that is easier to get simply because it isn't on
their menu.  This changes as they get older and begin to lose the
ability to catch their regular prey or when their normal prey is scarce.
Then they will begin to experiment on other animals, like us.  This may
be what happened to the unlucky austras.

Joe Daniel
jdaniel@aristotle.net