EUROPE'S ALLOSAURS II

Another issue attaching itself to _Neovenator_ is the presence of European
allosaurids reported prior to this one. Note that Hutt, Martill and Barker's
paper is actually titled 'The first European allosaurid dinosaur'. Contesting
this, Bernandino pointed out that..

> The first allosaurid from Europe is:
>
> Perez-Moreno, B. P.; Sanz, J. L.; Sudre, J. & Sige, B. (1993): A theropod
> dinosaur from the Lower Cretaceous of Southern France. Rev. Paleobiol.,
> Spec. Vol., 7: 173-181.

I fwded this message to Dave Martill (again, Hutt isn't on email, and I don't
know Barker). He said that they _were_ aware of this paper (they do cite it),
but they *didn't consider it to be a true allosaurid*. On p. 642, in fact, they
write '...fragments of an unidentified theropod from the Valanginian of southern
France have been compared with _Allosaurus_ (Perez-Moreno et al. 1993)'.

----------------------

Also just in...

MARTILL, D.M., FREY, E., GREEN, M. and GREEN, M.E. 1996. Giant pterosaurs from
the Lower Cretaceous of the Isle of Wight, UK. _N. Jb. Geol. Palaont. Mh._ 11:
672-683

It's been known for a long time that the Isle of Wight has yielded really big
pterosaurs. The Museum of Isle of Wight Geology, Sandown, Isle of Wight,
includes in its display a diorama depicting all the dinosaurs recovered thus far
from the island - and soaring above their heads is a pterosaur copied from
William Stout's illustration of a _Quetzalcoatlus_ (I think the picture's called
'Wings'). This new paper describes some very fragmentary bits from the Vectis
Fm (Upper Barremian-?Lower Aptian). They are mostly battered fragments of humeri
or metacarpal, and are thoroughly indeterminate.

The big deal, of course, is that the fragments are from *big* animals: the width
of one incomplete phalanx I of a wing digit is comparable in size with that of
_Quetzalcoatlus_. However '... it is not known if the Isle of Wight material
represents an azhdarchid, pteranodontid, or indeed some other family of
Cretaceous pterosaurs. Thus we cannot at this stage predict the likely wingspan
of the Isle of Wight specimen' (p. 681). Possibly it was from a giant 'with a
wing span in excess of that estimated for _Quetzalcoatlus_ i.e. greater than 11
m.' (p. 681).

The giant pterosaurs of America, Jordan and Brazil are joined by yet another.

"Te wanna wanga"
"Oh my... te wanna wa-goa.."

DARREN NAISH