RE: new aspect of extinction

>     Isn't that bass ackward?  His idea was that light SENSITIVE
>organisms were badly affected.  You seem to be suggesting the exact
>opposite, that animals with light sensitive pineal glands actually had
an >edge.

 I may have mis-read his since it seemed to cover the area I had oh so
long ago.  I don't think I mis-read it, however. I think we're talking
the same thing.
 The animals that were dependant on temperature changes or weather
changes to indicate passage of time would not behave appropriatly for
different times of the year which become indistinguishable during a
nuclear winter, whereas an animal that could behave appropriate to the
time of year merely by exposure to the length of day vs. night could
continue a fairly normal breeding or migratory pattern. A non-sensitive
animals' pattern would be messed up for the length of the nuclear winter
and a sensitive animal could continue to breed or migrate at a
normal-for-that-animal time.
 The length of time this period covered could drasticly alter the numbers
of sensitve and nonsensitve animals.  If an entire species never recieves
the signal to begin breeding for, say, 10 years (or 2 years or 20 years),
plus whatever other factors are also taking place during said winter-I
bet you the numbers of that species rather severely decline.  AND all the
other animals dependant on that animal to survive drasticly alter THEIR
numbers.  Spread this sort of thing across 90% of all dinosaur species
alive at the time and see how the environment responds to this sort of
hit.
 If dinosaurs never recieve the signal to begin migrating to new
pastures, the damage to the ecosystem they remained in would be
non-sustaining inside of a few years, on top of what ever the winter
itself would have taken out.
 No meteor needed to actually land near these animals to create a
problem.  They would be affected by drastic weather pattern changes that
were sudden and of long duration IF they were unable to identify time of
year with a seasonly-sensitive photoreceptor. (go pineal gland!)
 Which might explain why more fragile animals such as frogs survived
something dinosaurs could not.  It need not have been cold during this
winter-just unchanged weather for long periods of time. And frogs could
survive that.

 -Betty Cunningham