Re: bulldog tyrranosaurs

At 03:39 PM 2/4/97 +1100, Adam Yates wrote:

>A few days ago Tom Holtz  made a comment about the "short snouted
>bulldogedness" of Albertosaurus sarcophagus. I found this intriguing
>because the skull I had been assuming represented the species (the skull
>called "A. arctunguis" by Greg Paul in PDOTW) certainly does not fit this
>description. I sent a post containing a mass of queries about this skull
>that never made it to the list (though it did go to Tom - Thankyou for
>your reply). Nevertheless I still have a few queries. 1. Where can you
>find a good illustration of true A. sarcophagus?

Carpenter's paper on tyrannosaurids in 1992 (in Mateer & Chen's Aspects of
Nonmarine Cretaceous Geology, China Ocean Press: a hard book to find, I
know) has a series of skulls from most tyrannosaurid taxa.  Tracy Ford has
illustrations of A. sarcophagus skulls in Olshevsky's Historical
Dinosaurology.  There is a reconstructed skull of A. sarcophagus
(unfortunately, with missing parts restored after T. rex in some regions) in
the collections of the AMNH, but it isn't on display...

>2. Does the rather short
>maxilla from the Tornillo Formation of Texas belong to A. sarcophagus (or
>does it at least have the same degree of short snoutedness)? I once made
>an illustration of a T rex skull (based on the AMNH specimen) but
>substituted in the shape of the Tornillo maxilla, the result was a
>grotesque bulldog like face indeed!

An interesting thought indeed!  However, the Tornillo material is even more
truncated than the maxilla of A. sarcophagus.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877