Re: species and genus

At 08:50 AM 2/6/97 EDT, Bonnie Blackwell wrote:
>species and genera have been known to last for much longer than the
>0.5-1.5 Ma quoted in the a recent post.  only index fossil species
>generally evolve that rapidly.  for most of the paleontological
>record, species last much longer and genera even longer still.
>look at the longevity of some molluscs and plants for example.

Or, for an extreme example, the lingulate brachiopod genus _Lingula_, which
(depending on the taxonomy used) extends from the Cambrian to today!

In the case of the _Allosaurus_ example used in the earlier posting, though,
I am not yet convinced that the Aussie material is diagnosible to the genus
_Allosaurus_.  It may instead belong to another allosauroid (or even more
general non-coelurosaurian tetanurine) form.

Incidentally, when and where was the species name _Allosaurus robustus_
published?  I thought this individual was going to be named _A. australis_?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877