Re: Why insulation = endothermy

 From: Rob Meyerson <Robert.J.Meyerson@uwrf.edu>

 > This is true for "end members" of each group, yet for the intermediate
 > forms it may not be that big of a problem.  ... so there
 > is likely to be a number of partially endothermic/partially insulated
 > forms.  What I see is a snowballing effect, where a generation adapts
 > to a higher metabolism ..., and so on down the
 > line until the species reaches full endothermy.  Looking back on the
 > trend, we would see that the amount of insulation was proportional
 > to the metabolism.

This is certainly going to be the sort of thing that happens, and
happened.  However, given that essentially full endothermy is possible
with a rather lower basal metabolism than is currently usual in
endotherms, I would esxpect full insulation to occur prior to reaching
modern metabolic levels.  Indeed, after the first few stages, increases
in insulation may have led the way.

The peace of God be with you.