Re: A Minnesotain view of insulation

From: Rob Meyerson <Robert.J.Meyerson@uwrf.edu>
 > The moral being that insulation is like a thermos: it keeps hot
 > things hot and cold things cold.  So, for an ectotherm, being
 > insulated is a disadvantage, as it keeps heat from reaching the
 > body, and keeping the animal cold for a longer period of time.

Which brings us right around again back to my point from last week.

An insulated standard ectotherm just ain't a gonna work.

An example involving the same effect in another context:
guess why bedouins wear clothing that almost completely covers
the body?  Not to keep warm, obviously.  The answer is, of course,
to keep cool.

 >  So, if we can show traces of insulation on a fossil form,
 > it practically requires that the specimen was not fully ectothermic.

If it covered enough of the body to be effective at thermal regulation.

Still, this seems likely to be the case in _Sinosauropteryx_,
so it is beginning to look like we have to conclude that at least
the coelurosaurs were at least incipiently endothermic.

[There, how is that for "scientific caution"?]

The peace of God be with you.