Re: Birds with dinosaurs in Madagascar?

At 09:41 PM 2/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The latest _Natural History_ magazine has a teaze item saying that in an
>issue to come there will be a report on this.  Does anyone know more?

Yes.

(Oh, wait, I expect you want to know what the MORE is... :-)

I expect that Forster or Chiappe or Dodson or Sampson or Krause or someone
else in the Madagascan team will be reporting in Natural History on the
really amazing bird fossils already being described in the technical literature.

One fossil bird (named _Vorona_) has already been named from Madagascan
material.  At least one other (could be more: I don't know what the latest
analyses have turned up) of considerably more interesting morphology is also
present at the site.  The last I heard, it is to be named soon (in Nature or
Science, I think).

P.S., oh impatient ones:  "soon" in science can be months.  Get over it.
I've had to wait twelve years for the _Baryonyx_ monograph (which is
supposed to come out later this year), so a wait of a few months isn't
really that long.  When the new bird is published, or the _Sinosauropteryx_
paper, or other highlights, expect it to be shouted from the highest
internet mountain tops.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877