Re: Dinosaur "Arthritis" Revisited.

The fossil record seems to confirm what is "common sense".  That is
wear and tear arthritis or osteoarthritis in weight bearing major
articulated joints is relatively rare in dinosaurs.  Old age for humans is
really
one half what we see today due to vaccines, hygiene and the miracles
of modern medicine.  Mostly the former two.  It shouldn't surprise us
not to see it in animals that likely died before "middle or old age".
You don't normally see disabling osteoarthritis in pets until they
are relatively old aged, something animals in the wild don't normally
make it to.  (I imagine the ages of individual animals of any species generally
follows a nomal bell curve given enough individuals, especially if
you throw out the perinatal period).  Of course this
isn't proof of anything, merely anecdotal.  But it does make sense.
Of course, all you're seeing with fossils is the bone and not the
cartilage.

Michael Teuton