Re: MORE CRETACEOUS LIZARDY THINGS

> Date:          Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:37:19 +0000 (GMT)
> From:          "Darren Naish" <dwn194@soton.ac.uk>
> To:            dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject:       MORE CRETACEOUS LIZARDY THINGS

> Rieppel's amphisbaenian-scolecophidian characters are generally to do with jaw
> or tail base muscles, perhaps the complexes most applicable for arguments of
> convergence in fossorial lepidosaurs. And very nice evidence that all their
> similar features _are_ convergent is that there was actually *another*
> lepidosaur clade (Sphenodontida (=Sphenodontia) and Lacertilia [incl.
> Amphisbaenia and Serpentes] are the two major ones), unrelated to either
> amphisbaenians or snakes, that parallelled both of them. These animals were
> fossorial with chunky, amphisbaenian-like skulls: they lived and died in the
> Cretaceous. A complete skull of one of these things - last I heard the group
> was
> not named nor were its member taxa - was reported and described somewhere in
> _In
> the Shadows of Dinosaurs_.

Is it possible you are referring to the "diapsid burrowing reptile"
that is found in the La Boca Formation, (Huizachal Canyon, Mexico)?
Its age is Middle Jurassic. This animal has been named
Tamaulipasaurus morenoi, but I don't know if the group has been named
formally.  Fastovsky et al have published a review of
the La Boca paleoenvironment in JVP 15(3),1995. (Unfortunately I have
only the abstract, I should get hold of the whole article). This
animal is indeed first mentioned and illustrated in "In the Shadow of
the Dinosaurs".

Sincerely,

Pieter Depuydt,M.D.
Department of Respiratory Diseases