NO AGAMAS PLEASE..

Drury asked..

> >Can anyone tell me the common name for Agama agilis?

'Zenlizard' writes..

> Agamas are known as  "Thorny Devils",  supposedly because of their
> hideous appearance.

'Thorny devil' is the common name for the Aussie agamid _Moloch horridus_: an
myrmecophagous desert lizard entirely covered in sharp spines, and is not
commonly applied to agamids as a whole. _Agama agilis_, a species that inhabits
hot, rocky terrain across the Mediterranean region, is referred to as Common
agama or (snigger) Hardun. I don't know where this lattermost name comes from.

I wish there were some good herpetological internet groups.

"Now.. something something something.. that brilliant 'now' speech from the
start of Henry the Fifth"

DARREN NAISH