Re: Dinosaur "Arthritis" Revisited.

Sorry for the delay in the response.  I took some time off for Mardi
Gras.  (My first one and I nearly froze to death, bummer)

First the criticism:  you did a good job of demonstrating my point that
arthritis is not found in most animals.  All your examples showed that
the numbers with arthritis were significantly smaller than those without
it.  Second, "middleaged" like both of us said is a relative term and
will vary amongst populations.  As for the moose, they are rather
atypical in that they only really fall prey to predators once they get
old as they are just too big when healthy for wolves to attack even in
packs. Young healthy moose are pretty predator-free, except for man.
Thus, they aren't real good examples as they would be expected to have
elevated incidences of elderly-specific problems.  Note that only 30% of
them had arthritis according to your post.

Now for the bene:  your mention of monospecific bonebeds are quite
justifiably evidence to support your statements and fill in the
"negative evidence" problem to a degree, so I bow to your greater
knowledge.  Thank you for the references.  However, your view would be
better supported by comparing dinosaur monospecific bonebeds to similar
bonebeds of other animals known or expected to have arthritis.  Does
anyone know of any beds like this that could help or hinder Mr. Tanke's
statements?  I don't unfortunately.

Joe Daniel