Re: JURASSIC SQUAMATES

Twice Darren Naish <dwn194@soton.ac.uk> has attempted to send the
following message to the dinosaur list and both times listproc has
rejected it because it looks like a "request".  Originally Darren's
first words were "Delete this now..."  I presumed "Delete" was what
triggered listproc's reaction since "delete" is a listowner command.
I don't know why listproc didn't like the modified version, but I
strongly suspect it's because listproc doesn't like having "Get" as
the first word since that is also a listproc command.  In any case,
rather than having Darren try a third time I figured I'd give the
message a whirl.  Since Darren's been kind enough to demonstrate a
problem here I'll take advantage of it by recommending that everyone
try not to start messages with any of the following words: edit, put,
report, configure, add, delete, alias, ignore, lock, unlock, set,
system, hold, free, query, list(s), help, review, (un)subscribe,
signoff, which, purge, index or search.  Hope y'all memorized that
list :-)

-- MR

-----------------
Get rid of this message this now if you hate the words Squamata, Lepidosauria,
Amphisbaenia, Serpentes etc etc...

Recently I mentioned a new group of fossorial squamates that paralleled
amphisbaenians but were evidently not related to them. I thought the things
were from the Cretaceous, and I didn't know if they had been given any names.
Moral: don't rely on your memory. Pieter Depuydt wrote in reply..

> Is it possible you are referring to the "diapsid burrowing reptile"
> that is found in the La Boca Formation, (Huizachal Canyon, Mexico)?
> Its age is Middle Jurassic. This animal has been named
> Tamaulipasaurus morenoi, but I don't know if the group has been named
> formally.  Fastovsky et al have published a review of
> the La Boca paleoenvironment in JVP 15(3),1995. (Unfortunately I have
> only the abstract, I should get hold of the whole article). This
> animal is indeed first mentioned and illustrated in "In the Shadow of
> the Dinosaurs".

This must be the same critter: many thanks for the info. Returning to Cretaceous
snakes, I will post the refs for good reviews of them later today. Gotta chase
up more stuff on Oliogocene cetaceans right now (my deadline is easter: hey,
when is that?).

"I love the way your foul little mind works"

DARREN NAISH