Marshall's November Science paper

I just got hold of Nov. 22 Science (ok, I'm way behind in my reading)
and read the paper by Marshall and somebody (sorry somebody) about their
statistical study of ammonite(?) extinctions in the Maastrictian.  Their
paper clearly stated that their data supported both a gradual extinction
series and an abrupt extinction event.  However, in the early notes
section where Richard Kerr did a layman's review of their research, it
was heavily slanted toward abrupt extinctions.  I can say this because
the title Kerr chose for his bit stated flat out that they supported
sudden extinction over that of a gradual series.  This slant to the
article bothered me considerably.  Anybody got any ideas why they would
choose to bias their article that way (they as in the Science people, I
have no idea what Marshall and the other guy thought about it).

Joe Daniel