Re: Indian dino eggs?

At 08:44 PM 2/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>        I saw a notice recently, either here or elsewhere, that villagers
>on the subcontinent had been finding fossilized dino eggs for quite some
>time, but scientists only recently discovered it.  Can this be true?  I was
>under the impression that our knowledge of Mesozoic life in India was nil
>because the eruption of the Daccan Traps obliterated everything.  I would
>appreciate knowing more about these eggs, and any other Mesozoic remains
>from the subcontinent.  Thanks!

Indian dinosaurs have been known to science for over one hundred years
(Titanosaurus indicus was named sometime in the 1870s (1877?)).  Dinosaur
eggs have been known from India for quite sometime, too.  There are Late
Triassic, Early-Middle Jurassic, and Late Cretaceous dinosaurs known from
India (and some wonderful Tertiary mammals, and plenty of other fossil
bearing units).

The Deccan Traps covered an extensive area, but not all at once.  It was a
series of eruptions, interbedded with perfectly normal sedimentary rocks
(containing dinosaurs, in fact).

Furthermore, as vast as the Deccan Traps are in extent, India is a HUGE
place, and there are many regions which were not covered at all by those flows.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877