re: late cretacean extinctions

I am guilty of trying to start a thread about this.  I believe that
dinosaurs were becoming extinct in the Maastrictian and a major
bolide struct the earth then.  Now, if they were becoming extinct and
I think the fossil record shows that, then an asteriod striking the
earth didn't help matters at all.  In fact it may have been the straw
that broke the camels back.  Perhaps it altered a normal process of
mass extinction.

There are other explanations though.  Amajor bolide strike may have been
incidential. Has anyone looked at the possibility that our sun may be
the source of major extinctions.  Even the moon could shift enough to
cause problems with the food chain.  So the fact that a major bolide
did strike the earth does not necessarily mean_it_ was_the cause of
the dinosaurs extinction.  Of course, when you see smoke think fire.

Has anybody dated other major strikes to see if they caused mass
extinction?

Michael Teuton