Re: mammal mystery

> Weren't the largest mammals about the size of a cat?  I'm not 100% sure,
> it's been a while since I've seen this.

Aussie _Steropodon_ from the Early Cretaceous was beaver-sized (I
almost said "wombat-sized", but I risk a collision at the cross-
cultural boundary).  I've heard of a North American Mesozoic
mammal that was bigger than this.

_Steropodon_ (and _Kollikodon_, which may have been about the same
size) were possibly aquatic, so they would have kept out of the
dinosaurs' way most of the time.