Re: mammal mystery

>> Weren't the largest mammals about the size of a cat?  I'm not 100% sure,
>> it's been a while since I've seen this.
>
>Aussie _Steropodon_ from the Early Cretaceous was beaver-sized (I
>almost said "wombat-sized", but I risk a collision at the cross-
>cultural boundary).  I've heard of a North American Mesozoic
>mammal that was bigger than this.
>
>_Steropodon_ (and _Kollikodon_, which may have been about the same
>size) were possibly aquatic, so they would have kept out of the
>dinosaurs' way most of the time.

        Also, weren't many Mesozoic mammals--prosimians and such--arboreal?
That would have kept them out of the dinos' hair, too; the odd tree
climbing Troodon notwithstanding.  I like Colin Tudge's image of our
lemur-ish ancestors fussing at the intrusive snouts of sauropods browsing
among the angiosperm branches.

bruce

        "The more television I watch, the more I wonder why I'm not already
supreme ruler of earth."  --Dogbert