Re: mammal mystery

> I have argued that the trend to large size in dinos was a response to the
> need to defend nests (since big animal's nests are easily discoverable
> they are forced to into a strategy of defence) and that bigness was more
> of a pathology than an indicator of "thriving".

    Wasn't your argument that large dinosaur size was what ultimately
caused thier extinction, because they weren't stealthy?  Did they evolve
large size to defend thier nests, or was thier large size what made it
impossible to defend thier nests?  Why bother in the first place?  Small
mammals were around since the Late Triassic, so it isn't like they would
have had to change strategies.

LN Jeff