Re: mammal mystery

> Nevertheless, extinction has been the fate of all but five species of
> rhinos--and those five are >all< presently endangered.

      99.99% of all species are extinct- I wouldn't say that means that
life is endangered.  Species go extinct over time, and if you have a long
lived lineage, the further along you go, the more and more species will
have inevitably gone extinct.  That doesn't mean the lineage itself is
dwindleing. You may have 20 children, but the fact that you have 20
gazillion dead ancestors doesn't mean your line is dying out.
      Also, applying the results of human activities to ecological changes
and extinctions across all geologic time is a little innapropriate.

LN Jeff