Re: mammal mystery

Sam Girouard wrote:

> I think a few of us are forgeting that in the Hell Creek Formation the
> really small mammals actually lost more species than the big dinosaurs

I think this whole "size and the philosophy of survival" issue is a bit
out of control, because its not really responding to the simple question
of why large/why small.  Although I vowed after my dino hiney post not
to engage in it any further, I must note that this post is a bit
misleading.  Bare numbers mean nothing.  What percentage of dinosaurs
survived?  What percentage of mammals?  THAT'S the key question.  I don't
disagree that the adaptable little mammals got through it better, but my
argument is that you can't define the success or failure of a life-form
by it's resilience to once-in-a-hundred-million-years catastrophes.