Re: why larger?

>>Yes but what about the _pygmy_ Mastadons that persisted on Rabgel Island
>>until about 4Ka (6Ka longer than their  full sized counterparts elsewhere in
>>N.America and/or Asia)

Good question.  Since we've all been talking about small animals
evolving into larger ones, does anyone know of any "pygmy" lineages
that got big again, or gave rise to larger descendents?  I had gotten
the (possibly mistaken) impression that pygmyism was kind of an
evolutionary cul-de-sac, but I've never heard any explanation.  Any
ideas?