Re: Extinction

I agree with you.  I don't see a major bolide impact as being "fair"
experimentation either.

I spoke with an astonomer this morning.  He stated that the sun
oscillates in the plane of the galaxy enough to disturb the Ort
Cloud.  He also says that the sun is stable enough that fluctuations
in the amount of energy given off is enough to change the weather but
not over long periods.  However, changes in the earth's orbit as a
result of interaction with the other planets does happen and may be a
cause of the Ice Ages.  (I'm sure some of you know this, but since I
didn't I'm reiterating it for the masses).  The tilt of the earth can
change as well.  He did not say if the tilt and/or the orbit of the
moon could be changed enough to affect life on earth.  He did say he
doubted it.  He mentioned that the orbit of the moon could be changed
by a near miss, but I didn't get to ask about how close, how large,
and if so, how much change.  If it's happened in the past then it was
so long ago that the orbits are stable and likely to be so forever
without intervention.

Michael