Re: Extinction

Michael wrote:

> I agree with you.  I don't see a major bolide impact as being "fair"
> experimentation either.
>
> I spoke with an astonomer this morning.  He stated that the sun
> oscillates in the plane of the galaxy enough to disturb the Ort
> Cloud.  He also says that the sun is stable enough that fluctuations
> in the amount of energy given off is enough to change the weather but
> not over long periods.  However, changes in the earth's orbit as a
> result of interaction with the other planets does happen and may be a
> cause of the Ice Ages.  (I'm sure some of you know this, but since I
> didn't I'm reiterating it for the masses).  The tilt of the earth can
> change as well.  He did not say if the tilt and/or the orbit of the
> moon could be changed enough to affect life on earth.  He did say he
> doubted it.  He mentioned that the orbit of the moon could be changed
> by a near miss, but I didn't get to ask about how close, how large,
> and if so, how much change.  If it's happened in the past then it was
> so long ago that the orbits are stable and likely to be so forever
> without intervention.

        Yeah.  I have heard some (certainly not all) of this before.  I
do remember hearing stuff about the orbit of the moon being altered by a
large enough planetoid moving between it and the earth when I was in
college.  Those folks didn't think it would do much to climate either,
but I always thought it was a pretty cool idea, even if it didn't work.

--
Josh Smith