Re: why larger?

> >Cope's Law:  in any given lineage, organisms tend to increase in size
> >over time.  For example, horses and elephants.
>
>         Given, of course, exceptions due to extraordinary circumstances,
> such as dwarf mammoths and elephants that used to live on certain islands.

lions are smaller than they used to be.  Wolves are smaller than they
used to be.  Rhinos are smaller than they used to be.  Camels are
smaller than they used to be.  Snakes (thank god) are smaller than they
used to be.  Crocodiles are smaller than they used to be.  I believe
elephants are also smaller than they used to be.

What's so extraordinary about being smaller, for gosh sakes?

-Betty