Influences of ficton (was: THE LOST WORLD)

My doctoral thesis had to do with astrophysics.  Almost without exception,
my fellow students had been science fiction fans -- many still were -- and
rated space-travel stuff as influential in their getting interested in
astronomy.

And thanks to _Star_Trek_ -- the first series -- we have an entire generation
of Americans who know that to be called "illogical" is a serious insult!

                                         --  Jay Freeman