Re: THE LOST WORLD

Jeffery Martz writes;

>      So it is all right to inspire people about a real life subject by
>giving them a bogus portrayal of it?  If the real thing is so unexiting
>that you have to lie, why bother?  If the real field IS exiting, why can't
>that authentic exitement be brought to the big screen? Thanks to
>CG, special effects have finally reached that point where they can be
>COMPLETELY flawless and convincing.

With so many opinions out there, the portrail of any dinosaur, or even
paleontology in general, will never be completely flawless.  JP is the most
accurate dinosaur movie to date, and that should be celebrated.  At the same
time, professional paleontologists can continue to place their input into movie
projects, pushing for higher standards of accuracy.  Just as the real field of
archaeology is nowhere near _Indiana Jones_, the dig sequences in JP is nowhere
near the reality of paleontology.

Movies like JP are bridges between science and the public.  Instead of
critizising the bridge, perhaps we should cross it.

>     SOMETIMES they ask, if it occurs to them that it might not be true.
>How is a layperson supposed to tell the difference between "fact",
>"probably", "maybee", and "probably not" enough to know exactly what to
>question? I have asked a number of people what they LEARNED about
>dinosaurs from Jurassic Park; "T.rex's vision was based on movement" is a
>popular reply.

This is why traveling shows like "The Science of Jurassic Park" (coming to a
museum near you) are so useful.  They give the real story, and show where errors
have occurred.  As an added plus, a museum that houses such a show will have
increased attendance, from people interested in dinosaurs because of JP.  Once
at the museum, the people will see the actual museum mounts, and all the other
displays that DO show the true nature of field paleontology.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."