Re: MY LAST WORD ON THE LOST WORLD

Brian Franczak writes:

>My beef with JURASSIC PARK (and I'm certain with the forthcoming THE LOST
>WORLD as well) is *not* that it's full of misinformation about dinosaurs
>(even though it *is*), but with the fact that it's A GODAWFUL PIECE OF CRAP
>AS A FILM!

Well, I hate to disagree with my friend Brian, but despite the holes in JP
isn't it true that we wouldn't be arguing about it at all were it not that
its dinosaurs are so much closer to the real thing than any earlier screen
effort that we can actually take them seriously long enough to point out
their specific flaws?  What other dino film is even worth analyzing in this
way?

And
>the enclosures we're gonna build for the dinosaurs are gonna be electric
>fences that go down whenever we have a power failure... (SOUND OF SMASHING
>GLASS AS LOGIC GOES OUT WINDOW, SCREAMING ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND...)

Well, that was in the book, too, and I admit that it completely spoils
Crichton's don't-mess-with-nature message, replacing it with
don't-be-such-a-schmuck.  Who in real life would be that stupid?  A few
nice, deep trenches and hey, no problemo....

 >Does anyone out there really believe
>that 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY could be made today? Call me snotty, but I
>demand more for my money.

Fair enough - it's my favourite film and the only realistic sci-fi
depiction of space travel ever, among other things.

But I still got a kick (on a much less cerebral level) out of JP.  MY first
recollection of being dino-fied was Colbert's The Dinosaur Book!
1825 Shady Creek Court