Bird Co-operation in hunting

Brian Franczak wrote:

>No bird or crocodilian species alive today - the groups that
>phylogenetically bracket dinosaurs -- hunts cooperatively. Only mammals do.
>

>etc etc etc

This is wrong. There is a species of hawk/buzzard which _does_ hunt
co-operatively, and what's more, it is _adaptive_ behaviour (I need an
ornithologist to give me a name, here; it lives in Central America area and is
spreading north). The theory is that this bird has extended it's range to
include scrubby desert by adopting co-operative hunting techniques; in it's
"normal" habitat it is a solitary predator. I saw an absolutely extraordinary
film of half a dozen of these hawks flushing a rabbit out of cover, chasing it
through cactus thickets and finally capturing and sharing (albeit with a
squabble) the meal.

So we _can_ include the possibility that dinos did the same.

martin