Re: Island mammals

At 06:44 PM 2/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>The only island ecosystem I can think of, in which the top >predator prior
>to human intervention is a non-avian tetrapod >that seems substantially to
>have evolved in place (rather than >being a small modification of something
>that came with the >island, as in Tasmania or Madagascar), is Komodo...

New Caledonia had until very recently a terrestrial Crocodile.  In New
Guinea today the largest predators are crocodiles and monitor lizards; even
in Australia you might argue for the Saltwater croc, the Perentie and one
of the larger pythons as up there with the thylacine.  It depends on
habitat: there are places in Africa where the chief predator of wildebeest
is the Nile Crocodile, at least at certain times of year.
1825 Shady Creek Court