Re: DINOSAUR and mammal BEHAVIOR

<snip>. Dinosaurs were *never* capable of behaving like lions.

We don't really know about complex behaviors in dinosaurs, so we
can't say with certainty what they might or might not have done
(within reasonable boundaries).  Cheetah cooperative behavior in a
hunt is not complex and I can envision several fast predatory
dinosaurs doing what cheetahs do.  Run after prey and the first one
there knocks it down and then sombody kills it.

<snip> when hunting, they try to be as silent as a
> fog.

Sun Tzu said he will win who waits to take the enemy unprepared.  He
learned that from a dragon I think.

> > And Jonathon, thank you for articulating something that's bothered me for
> > quite
> > some time as well: the "Bakkerian Superbeast" model of dinosaurs *is* way
> > over the top, and is no more believable or realistic than the swamp-bound,
> > sluggish reptilian view that Bakker himself has fought so hard to dispel.

Right.  Jaws was dumber than a dinosaur (probably) and sharks don't
leap onto boats (usually).

> Granted that _Deinonychus_ looks like an agile, fast, active
> animal, and granted that the hind-foot claw looks big and sharp and
> nasty enough to shred anything made of flesh -- still, why would a
> killing weapon be placed on the _hind_ foot when it had perfectly
> serviceable jaws and forelimbs equipped with their own array of
> customized cutlery?

The better to eat you with said the Deinonychus.  Leopards disembowel prey
with their hindclaws and they have very nice frontal weaponry.

> More than once I've come back to the thought that
> among mammals, only cats have claws that look even remotely like a
> dromaeosaur's inner one, and cats do use those claws for something
> besides killing.  If the thought of a three-meter-long dinosaur in a
> tree sounds peculiar, well, so does the thought of a two-meter-long
> lioness in a tree.  Lionesses climb trees all the time.  It's a standard
> defense against a hyena pack.

Lions do not climb trees very often, but they do. They will climb
trees to escape buffalo and to take a leopards kill(rare).  Standard defense
against a hyena pack is to fight back.  Only when injured or
overwhelmed and alone will a lion run from hyenas.  When they do they leave
with their bottoms on the ground, turning often to strike at their
tormentors who wisely stay out of the way.  If a lion is injured
badly enough or crippled it can be killed but this does not often
happen.  It's much more likely to be the other way around.  I agree
that some dinosaurs should be able to climb trees.

Michael Teuton