T. rex Sense of Smell

The one thing that really bothered me in JP was the T. rex being directly in
front of Grant and the kids and not smelling them.  According to Horner &
Lessem in their book _The Complete T. Rex_, the structure of the nasal
portion of the skull suggests a moderate to good sense of smell.  Some
paleontologists (notably Bakker, I believe) suggest a very poor sense of
smell.  Even with a very poor sense of smell, I find it difficult to believe
T. rex, or any other vertebrate for that matter, would fail to smell a
human-sized organism directly in front of them at a very short distance with
nothing but air in between them. What is the latest consensus on T. rex's
sense of smell?

Cheers!

John
John M. Cys                   "Descriptive cataloging,
Catalog Librarian             that pleasant backwater
Moffett Library               of human endeavor,---."
Midwestern State University     ---Michael Gorman.
3410 Taft Blvd.
Wichita Falls Texas 76308-2099

Phone: 817-689-4175