Re: Bird Co-operation in hunting

The hawk in question is the Harris Hawk (also known as the Bay-winged Hawk)
found in the southwestern USA.  Cooperative hunting by extended family
groups has been chiefly documented in SE Arizona both in the literature and
on video/film. I have a copy of the video mentioned below and it is
"absolutely extraordinary."

Another example of fascinating cooperative hunting activity by birds is the
cooperative fishing of pelicans which has also been shown on several
different nature documentaries through the years and pictured in books.

Have a good day!

John

>At 06:21 PM 2/19/97 GMT, you wrote:
>>>This is wrong. There is a species of hawk/buzzard which _does_ hunt
>>>co-operatively, and what's more, it is _adaptive_ behaviour (I need an
>>>ornithologist to give me a name, here; it lives in Central America area
and is
>>>spreading north). The theory is that this bird has extended it's range to
>>>include scrubby desert by adopting co-operative hunting techniques; in it's
>>>"normal" habitat it is a solitary predator. I saw an absolutely extraordinary
>>>film of half a dozen of these hawks flushing a rabbit out of cover,
chasing it
>>>through cactus thickets and finally capturing and sharing (albeit with a
>>>squabble) the meal.
>>
>>Sounds like the Caracara (Mexican Eagle).

John M. Cys                   "Descriptive cataloging,
Catalog Librarian             that pleasant backwater
Moffett Library               of human endeavor,---."
Midwestern State University     ---Michael Gorman.
3410 Taft Blvd.
Wichita Falls Texas 76308-2099

Phone: 817-689-4175