islands in the Pacific-was Re: mammal mystery

> >How about this: a deep oceanic island inhabited by secondarily
> >flightless birds and pterosaurs?

Montara Mountain, the mountain I live next to here in N Cal., is likely
a cretaceous island remnant (granite formed in the Pacific during the
Cretaceous-and the only spot in the Bay Area constantly above the water
line since the early paleozoic)-and you can bet I'm hoping they vote for
the tunnel to go through, since this increases the chances of finding
some-ummm-stuff........

Am I reaching?  Is this reasonable?  We got plesiosaur fossils in
Alameda, and Rhino fossils in Felton, after all.

-Betty