Re: islands in the Pacific-was Re: mammal mystery

Bettyc wrote:

> > >How about this: a deep oceanic island inhabited by secondarily
> > >flightless birds and pterosaurs?
>
> Montara Mountain, the mountain I live next to here in N Cal., is likely
> a cretaceous island remnant (granite formed in the Pacific during the
> Cretaceous-

Granites tend to be solidified stocks from which volcanos originated.
Thus it may relate to a volcanic island in the Cretaceous eroded and
uplifted. In the Cretaceous it would have probably been in the southern
hemisphere.

There were Pacific islands but they tend to be pretty obliterated when
they collide with continents.

Jim Kirkland