Re: why larger?

In a message dated 97-02-21 12:14:25 EST, znc14@ttacs1.ttu.edu (Jonathan R.
Wagner) writes:

<< The speciation event itself is irrelevant to my point, and I
 apologize for any confusion.  If the circumstances which we theorize are
 responsible for dwarfism are, at least, a subset of those we theorize are
 responsible for speciation, then dwarfism might be considered a form of
 speciation as long as it does not violate the biological constraints of that
 term (ie. interbreeding is effectively impossible, etc...). >>

Of course dwarfism is a form of speciation; no argument there. What I'm more
interested in is >speciation< itself. Exactly how and when do we determine
that a speciation event has occurred? Suppose at time t=0 we have a
population of large mammoths in Siberia, and at time t=10,000 we have a
population of small mammoths on Wrangell Island but no large mammoths in
Siberia. Assuming we have a perfect understanding of the fossil record, at
what time t between 0 and 10,000 did the small mammoths arise, and how long
did it take for this event to happen?