Re: links and JP/Lost World

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:58:37 -0700 Palaeogothica
<GROS4891@Adc.MtRoyal.AB.CA> writes:
> What does bother me is the fact that they LIED about it. Spielberg out
and out LIED to the face of every person who saw that film. They KNEW
that they were getting
these things drastically wrong(my sources on the inside told me so;-),
and knowing that, they still proceeded to LIE about it's "absolute
scientific accuracy"... A fact that seems quite convenient for the "it's
only fiction! Take a pill for God's sake!" camp to neglect.<

As part of the "take a pill" camp, I resent the implication that it was
convenient for us to neglect this problem.  First of all, there is a
limit as to what we can do about it.  Freedom of the Press means
Spielberg etc. can say whatever they want about their movie.  Second, it
would be a waste of time for every dinosaur institution to demand equal
time after each commercial (or movie showing) to give their side of the
story.  The best we paleo types, educators, etc. can do is to use the
movie as a hook to get people to come to a dinosaur exhibit, and then
bust our buns to correct the wrong ideas.  Call it job security for
educators!  It'd be great if we wouldn't have to do all the correcting,
and I challenge folks out there to make a film where we don't have to.
But at the same time, one has to resign ones' self to reality and go with
the flow.  At least for now.

Judy Molnar
Education Associate
Virginia Living Museum