Re: Paleo Bloopers

In a message dated 97-02-23 18:14:11 EST, jpoling@dinosauria.com (Jeff
Poling) writes:

<< I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the first dinosaur ever named,
 _Scrotum humanus_ (now called _Megalosaurus_, I believe). >>

_Scrotum humanum_. This is a nomen nudum from a figure caption in a 1763
book, considered to be the first named dinosaur specimen because the figure
clearly depicts the distal condyles of a large theropod femur, probably
_Megalosaurus_. The name was probably not intended to be a formal
nomenclatural binomial, but it was taken as such by the late Beverly
Halstead, more as a yokk than as serious science.