                From:  Jeffrey Martz [SMTP:martz@holly.ColoState.EDU]
                Sent:  Sunday, February 23, 1997 4:53 PM
                To:  Nathan Myhrvold
                Cc:  'dinosaur@usc.edu'
                Subject:  RE: DINOSAUR BEHAVIOR

                > The modern view of field biologists is that many
supposed "cooperative"
                > hunters are not actually taking very sophisticated
roles, they are just
                > all going for the same prey.  The "cooperation" part
mainly means that
                > they do not attack each other.

                > There is no reason to rule out cooperative or social
hunting in
                > dinosaurs, and indeed there are several strong pieces
of evidence in
                > favor of it.

                    Like what?  There is some evidence for gregarious
behavior in
                theropods, but how does that insinuate cooperative
hunting?
                Social behavior in carnivores leading to group mobbing
isn't so
                unplausible; saying it then follows that they were
hunting cooperatively
                is at odds with your previous statement.  As noted, that
level of
                sophistication in predators is pretty rare, and usually
found among
                unusually brainy birds and mammals.

                LN Jeff
                O-