Re: _Liaoningornis_

In a message dated 97-02-24 11:38:04 EST, Tom Holtz writes:

> Archaeopteryx, however, is so phenomenally primitive, it is difficult to
>  distinguish it from non-avian forms.  Only a few features (not found in
>  dromaeosaurids) unite it with later birds.

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but are furculae known in any
non-Maniraptoran theropods?  Also, how would one view the furcula of
Archaeopterx--as a derived character of the Maniraptora or an ancestral
character of Aves?
Thanks for the help.

I promise not to call you Tim (at least not in print) :-)
MITCH LAMM