LATE LATE PTEROSAURS

Just found this, and thought it worth reporting as I haven't heard anyone mentio
it before..

BUFFETAUT, E., CLARKE, J.B. and LE LOEFF, J. 1996. A terminal Cretaceous
pterosaur from the Corbieres (southern France) and the problem of pterosaur
extinction. _Bull. Soc. geol. France_ 167: 753-759

A beat-up partial bone from the upper Maas of Fontjoncouse, Aude, is identified
as a bit of pterosaur: probably a first wing phalanx. Big animal: wingspan of
5 m or so. Bits of azhdarchid from the Campanian/Maas Lano locality (NW Spain)
are reported in this paper too (cited as Buffetaut, in prep.).

I haven't read all of this yet, but the authors use the main discovery to show
that pterosaurs were living in more places than traditionally thought right up
to the end of the Maastrichtian. Buffetaut gave a talk at the last SVP meeting
(abstract in _JVP_ 16) where he suggested that the very very low diversity of
late Maastrichtian pterosaurs may be due more to sampling bias than reality
(i.e. there are no late Maas lagerstatte that might bear pterosaurs, he says).

"Boo as Darth Vadar destroys planets, cheer as Luke Skywalker blows up the Death
Star, and cringe as those little furry things kick the crap out of imperial
storm troopers".

DARREN NAISH