Re: _Liaoningornis_

At 12:13 PM 2/24/97 -0500, Mickey Rowe wrote:

>Tom Holtz wrote about distinguishing birds from non-avian dinosaurs:
>
>> Above the level of Archaeopteryx, it becomes easy: a big keeled
>> sternum, the presence of a pygostyle (the shortened fused tail of
>> birds), loss of a bunch of dorsal vertebrae to the sacrum, and
>> related features.
>
>In the March issue of _Natural History_, the article on dinosaurs from
>Madagascar describes a Cretaceous bird (the one with the sickle claw
>on its foot; it's been mentioned here before) as a bird even though it
>has a long bony tail rather than a pygostyle.  Just thought I'd throw
>a lemur wrench into Tom's easy guide to bird recognition :-)

Ah, but who says that the new guy is "above the level of Archaeopteryx"
(okay, it is above stratigraphically, but it may not be closer to Neornithes
phylogenetically).

I am SO glad this critter is finally out in public!!

P.S.  "Lemur wrench".  I like it!!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877