Dinosaur Top 10 for 1996

I thought it would be nice to resubmit the results of the 1996 Dinosaur
Top 10...in case you missed it because of the Holidays.

 The results are in...

 First of all, I would like to thank all the individuals who submitted
 their list of (13) favorite dinosaur genera.  I received 92 replies, with
 a total of 1150 names (not all respondants provided 13 names).  According
 to the Dinosaur Mailing List there are 799 dinosaur genera (now 801,
 thanks you George) that have appeared in the literature (of one kind or
 another).  Of course not all these genera are currently considered valid,
 some are no longer dinosaurian, and some have been synonymized or now part of
 new combinations.  So I've come up with a count of 407 valid dinosaur genera
 names, and of this 137 dinosaur genus names were picked by all those who
 responded to this survey.

 There were some non-dinosaurs picked: Kronosaurus, Dimetrodon, and
 Deinosuchus, and some modern Dinosaurs (birds): Falcon, Bald Eagle,
 Penquin, and Parakeet.

 Here is the list of the Dinosaur Top 10 in order of least to most popular:

 (10) Archaeopteryx -- 25%
         Yes...birds are Dinosaurs (duck and run)

  (9) Allosaurus -- 26%
         The nasty killer of the Late Jurassic and into the early
         Cretaceous.

  (8) Parasaurolophus -- 27%
         Another revived popular dinosaur thanks to a recent find.  I
         think it's because of the cool crest.

  (7) Oviraptor -- 28%
         No longer given a bum wrap for eating Protoceratops eggs, now a
         loving, strange-looking, brooding mother.

  (6) Utahraptor -- 29%
         This included Bakker's "Raptor Red", #1 Christmas gift wish.

  (5) Stegosaurus -- 31%
         The famous road-kill specimen seems to have revived the popularity
         of this old-time favorite.

  (4) Apatosaurus -- 32%
         Although 31% prefer the name "Brontosaurus".

  (3) Triceratops -- 39%
         What can I say, 3 horns, a solid frill, and an attitude.

  (2) Deinonychus -- 42%
         What every small child wants to be when they grow up.

 and finally...

  (1) Tyrannosaurus -- 56%
         Okay...so he (she) might not be the largest of the terrestial
         meat-eaters, but still without question, the King!!

 Again, Thank you for participating in this survey...maybe another one will
 be done next year to see if the popularity of dinosaur genera wax or
 wane.

---> John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)