RE: crocs and hadrosaurs (was science proect)

Stephen said:
      >I figured a running duckbill would be on two legs if only to keep
its
>bill from bumping the ground.

The tail would be sticking straight out from the back end of the dinosaur
in which ever pose he took-quadraped OR biped. Remember, as a
biped-DINOSAUR hadrosaurs are still built like a T with the head and tail
being equal heights, and when quadraped they haven't done anything wierd
with their butts or legs-which would still be at the same length of
extension as when biped (like a pivot)-no crouching-so the tail would be
exactly the same hieght as when it's a biped (if not even higher as the
weight of the upper torso leaning forwards and down may bring the rear up
to counter-balance the weight shift.

>I figured the duckbill wouldn't see the
>croc, but if it happened to be headed straight for the croc, the croc
>would back away until he could see the situation.

maybe, but crocs don't naturally attack running prey-they wait till the
prey is hampered by water.  Modern crocs, that is.

>Anyway, it seems unlikely that the duckbill would run right into the
>croc's jaws.  If the duckbill didn't run into the croc, wouldn't the
>duckbill survive if it was a good enough swimmer to tire the croc before
>the croc could close the distance?

croc's don't chase much while in the water. They don't need to like land
animals. They merely side-l (sidle?) up to the prey while the croc is
fully submerged-and pull the unsuspecting animal under to drown it. They
don't usually expend much energy catching up to things.You may be
watching too many Tarzan movies Read about the man-eaters from the Nile
for some really gruesome winter fun.

>I've read that if several men enter a blind individually over a period
>of time and leave over a period of time, crows will know it's occupied
>until the last man leaves.

check out the archives for long discussions of crow intelligence and the
comparisons to dinosaurs

>Animals with similar mental capacity could
>be good at keeping track of the last known location of a croc and the
>locations where it might now be.

Duckbills are not as smart as crows. Brains are smaller, and they are far
removed from the line that generated birds.  Maybe the T rex, but not the
duckbills.

>If a giant croc came up the creek, I think those Dobermans would have
>harassed it with barking and feints until it left

hear about the hunting-dog eating alligator last year in Florida?  They
had several dogs missing in the area but it was only after it ate a prize
hunting dog that happened to have a tracking collar on before they found
it and killed it.

>If duckbills were endotherms, I think they would have had opportunities
>to stamp on sluggish crocs who had come ashore to warm up.

Sluggish crocs that come on shore are usually full and trying to sleep
off a good kill-not a moment I would choose to approach.  Crocs are fully
capable of sunning while they float at the surface of a pond, letting
their broad backs absorb the sun just fine.  they don't need to come
ashore to get warm.

 -Betty