RE: _T. rex_ strikes ( was Ceratopsian frills)

From: "Cunningham, Betty" <Cunningham@sega.com>
 >...  Dire wolf skulls are bigger than
 > modern wolf skulls by maybe 2 inches in length.  They are much more
 > robust then modern wolves.  However there are modern dogs that could
 > equal a Dire wolf's height and mass.  A mastiff could, easily.

And great danes and irish wolfhounds are far larger.

My memory of the Paige Museum still puts the mass of the dire wolf as
approaching that of a human.

 > The primary specimens in La Brea are scavengers............They got
 > full-time scavengers and part-timers that probably hunted quite capabily
 > on their own but thought to take advantage of the area.

All large land predators I know if are part-time scavengers.
[Hey - so am I; I rarely pass up a free meal].

Even the large spotted hyena will eat carrion if available. So will
the lion.

 >  Funny- they
 > don't have any raccoons out of the pits, and they KNOW that raccoons were
 > in the LA area at the time from other sites.  And raccoons are the most
 > agile N American scavenger--apes, baboons, and monkeys being even-more
 > agile types from other parts of the world.

I would say they are also among the most *intelligent*.  I suspect their
absence in the tar seeps may be due to that factor.  Another common
local animal that is notable for its absence in the tar is Homo sapiens,
which is even more intelligent than a racoon. [The only human ever found
in La Brea was a murder victim or a sacrifice, not an accidental trapee].

 >  Just wanted to mention them
 > since humans are desended from one particularily agile tool-using
 > scavenger and we shouldn't be calling the rest odd-looking.

Oh, but we *are* rather odd-looking, as animals go.  Quite bizzarre
in fact.

The peace of God be with you.