Re: My Gr. 9 Science Fair Project: Questions

From: stevet@shelby.net (Stephen Throop)
 > That brings up a question: how much did an edmontosaur weigh? ...
 >
 > I wasn't wondering if a croc would eat an edmontosaur.

There was in the Late Cretaceous a croc every bit as large as a T. rex.

If T. rex could eat an edmontosaur, so could this beast.

 > I was wondering
 > if a croc would hold his ground when he heard an animal of unknown size
 > thundering toward him.

Taint how they hunt.  They wait *in* *the* *water* for the herd to
meander down to the water's edge to drink, then WHAM, they grab the
nearest one and drag it under and drown it.

That is how Nile crocs hunt wildebeest today.

 >  I think even grizzly bears often retreat in the
 > face of threatening noise.  I think the footsteps of a large running
 > biped could hit a croc hard enough to kill it.

Yep, but crocs don't attack running terrestrial animals, they attack
ones that are *drinking*.

 >  I've read that, in their time, duckbills accounted for 75% of
 > dinosaur herbivores.  They must have been doing something right.

How about mass reproduction?  They don't ALL have to avoid being eaten,
only enough of them.

 > Don't humans regularly go into the waters of the Nile, the Everglades,
 > and the Louisiana Bayous with very little chance of being eaten?

A. Humans are very wary, and tend to avoid crocs.

B. Crocs, being bradymetabolic, need very little prey.  Like a
snake one feeding will last for many weeks.  This means crocs are
usually not hungry.

The peace of God be with you.