Mac version of Dinosaur Encyclopaedia

A Message to MAC Users!
Regular subscribers will have noticed my occasional adverts for The Dinosaur
Encyclopaedia, a software package for IBM computers, and a number of you
have responded with "What about a Mac version." I wish I could say that it
is now available, but alas, I can't.
However, I do have a text version that I cloned some time ago with a view to
producing a Mac version.
The IBM version is a full hyper-text program with pop-up illustrations,
built in dictionary of technical terms, and a large essay section. I can't
make that available for the Mac, and maybe never will, but I am prepared to
offer what I have, which is:
A Word-for-Windows file (416K) with entries for 734 genera (all dinosaur
genera from "The List") plus many of the non-dinosaurian genera as well

        Sample section: "ALIORAMUS                    (other branch)
FAMILY: Tyrannosauridae
ERA: Late Cretaceous   ( Maastrichtian   73-65 mya ).
SIZE: 6 m  (20 ft)
LOCATION: Asia   (Beds of Nogon Tsav, Bayankhongor, MONGOLIA.)
FOSSILS: Fragmentary skull with associated postcrania.
Only about half the size of Tyrannosaurus. Had a low head with bony knobs
between eyes and snout, and many sharp, curved teeth.
1 species   (A. remotus    Kurzanov, 1976).

Aliwalia rex (Galton, 1985) is a valid theropod species, and is considered
as Dinosauria ' incertae sedis '. Femoral fragments and a maxilla were
found in upper Triassic formations (Lower Elliot) of Cape Province, South
Africa. In some details it was more advanced than Herreresaurus, and was
as large as Allosaurus.

ALLOSAURUS                    (strange reptile)
FAMILY: Allosauridae
ERA:Late Jurassic  ( Kimmeridgian - Tithonian   156-144 mya ).
SIZE: 12 m  (40 ft)  (Australian 5-6m / 18 ft)
LOCATION: Nth America  ( Morrison Formation in Colorado, Montana, New
Mexico, Oklahoma, Sth Dakota, Utah and Wyoming, USA.  [A. fragilis])
         Africa  ( Tendaguru Beds, Mtwara, TANZANIA.  [A. tendagurensis])
         Australia.  (Dinosaur Cove,Otway Ranges, Victoria, AUSTRALIA).
FOSSILS: 3 complete skulls, partial & complete skeletons of at least 60
animals of A. fragilis, tibia only of A. tendagurensis.  Astralagus from
Australia, species undefined.
Ancestor of Tyrannosaurus but smaller. Natural enemy of Apatosaurus. 2
bony bumps above and ahead of eyes, 2 smaller ones behind them and a low,
narrow, bony ridge from eyes to snout. Weight 1-2 tonnes. The Australian
specimen is from the Cretaceous period (about 100 mya) in contrast to
Allosaurus from elsewhere.
1 definite species known (A. fragilis   Marsh, 1877).
A number of previous species now reassigned.
   A. ferox (Marsh, 1896) and A. lucaris (Marsh, 1878) are now included
with A. fragilis.
   A. sibiricus  (Riabinin, 1914) is synonymous with Chilantaisaurus sibiricus.
   A. medius (Marsh, 1888) - insufficient material (tooth) for proper
classification.
   A. atrox  (Marsh, 1878) is a synonym of A. fragilis.
   A. tendagurensis (Janensch, 1925) is a ' nomen dubium '.
   A. amplexus (Cope, 1878) may be a valid species.
   A. valens (Leidy, 1870) is a synonym of Antrodemus valens.
Many synonyms and inclusions.
(Poicilopleuron valens, Laelaps trihedrodon, Creosaurus atrox, Epanterias
amplexus, Hypsirophus discurus, Saurophagus maximus, Labrosaurus ferox, L.
fragilis, L. lucaris, Antrodemus fragilis, A. lucaris, A. atrox, A. ferox,
A tendagurensis, Camptonotus amplus, Camptosaurus amplus and Apatodon
mirus are now considered as Allosaurus fragilis. )"

A similar text file (41K) with entries containing general information on
dinosaur families (65 families).

        Sample:"ABELISAURIDS       (Theropods)
A recently discovered family of ceratosaurs with deep skull and large
knife-like teeth. Their forearms were tiny and located high up on their
bodies with clawed hands used to slash prey. They had muscular legs that
enabled them to move very quickly in short bursts. Originally known only
from South America, this family now has representatives from India, Africa
and Europe.

ABELISAUROIDEA      (Theropods)
These were large theropods within the Neoceratosauria, but more closely
related to the family Abelisauridae.

ALLOSAURIDS            (Theropods)
Allosaurids were the tigers of their age - flesh eaters as long as a bus but
larger and relatively agile. Over half their length was tail, held up to
balance the short, heavy body, thick, flexible neck and massive head. The
huge jaws were hinged so that they gaped extremely wide, allowing large
chunks of meat to be swallowed. Although it has been suggested that they
were only carrion eaters, it is more likely that they were fast runners and
swimmers capable of killing huge sauropods. They had 4 claws on each foot,
and 3 fingers. An extra pair of holes in the skull served for ventilation.
They existed from the late Jurassic to late Cretaceous."

A third file (12K) with 85 glossary entries.

        Sample:"calcaneum - the heel bone.

Caudal - relating to the tail.

Centra  (plural of centrum) - anatomical or other centre. Usually referring
to middle section of a vertebra.

centrosaurine - one of two subfamilies of frilled dinosaurs (ceratopids)
characterised by large, ornate frills. The other group are the
chasmosaurines, with smaller, undecorated frills.

Cervical - relating to the neck.

Chevron(s) - small bones associated with the vertebrae.

coracoid (s) - bone (s) extending from the shoulder blade towards the
breastbone."

All 3 files are arranged in alphabetical order, and could also be searched
using a word-processor. I suspect that they could probably be converted to a
HyperCard database as well.
These are available NOW. I would anticipate filling a single 1.44M floppy
with these files plus a selection of the B&W PCX illustrations from the
encyclopaedia (if there is any demand for them?).
I would like some feedback from any interested Mac users.
Does this sound like a useful addition to your dino info?
Would distributing this on an IBM formatted disc cause problems? (I am not a
Mac user, but I get the impression that most, if not all Macs read IBM
files, and the format of WW files and Mac Word files I believe are the same?)
If I ZIP the files and pictures using PKZIP on an IBM, is there Mac software
readily available that will unzip them? (I can put a lot more pictures on a
disc if I can do this. If PKZIP is not compatible maybe someone knows of
another archiving program that works on both platforms?)
This information has taken an enormous amount of time to collect and collate
and update, so I am not keen on actually giving it away. The IBM version
costs A$30 (US$24), and I would obviously not expect to sell the "Mac
version" for anywhere near that. I was thinking of around A$15 (US$12), but
I'm open to suggestions.
So, if there are Mac users out there who are interested in this idea, or who
have any better ideas on how this material might be arranged or distributed,
please contact me off-list.
Look forward to your comments
Graeme Worth
HyperWorks Reference Software